Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

I have a dog who already is using frontline. & I believe he

Customer Question

I have a dog who already is using frontline. & I believe he has mange mites. I had a dog with it before and he did the same thing. I bathed him in the mange mite shampoo but it only slowed it down. What can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Please answer the following:

1. Is your dog itchy?

2. Any sores on the skin or hair loss?

3. Can you please list the name/ingredients of the shampoo you are using in him?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's itchy
No hair loss
Or Soares on skin
Just itchy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just sent pictures of the bottle for the mange mite
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello?

Hello, I am typing a response :)

OK great, thank you. There are several possibilities here, I'll discuss the most common.

In dogs, itchy skin is most commonly caused by an allergy. The most common type of allergic skin disease is called atopic dermatitis. Atopic dermatitis is due to the body's immune system "over-reacting" to things it comes in contact with from the environment. The most common allergens include certain pollens (usually from wild grasses), molds, dust mites, etc. Unfortunately, these are things we cannot completely eliminate from the environment, but we can try and prevent contact with by bathing more often (even 1-2 times per week), with a gentle oatmeal or hypoallergenic shampoo. Some mild cases respond well to a more frequent bathing regimen, while others require additional therapies such as oral prednisone or oral Apoquel to control the itch.

Another very common allergy in dogs is to flea saliva. It only takes one bite to set off the itching cycle, so you may not even see any fleas present. In some pets, Frontline may not work well, so you may want to consider trying an alternative. The most effective types of flea prevention currently available require a prescription from your veterinarian. However, I have found that a newer one called Seresto (an 8 month collar) is pretty effective, and it is available over the counter.

Other fairly (but overall less) common causes of itching include mites or other parasites. It looks like the mite your shampoo is geared towards is the demodex mite. There are other mites such as sarcoptes that are more likely to cause itching, and require a different treatment. In order to diagnose whether mites or other microscopic parasites are present, a skin scraping test would need to be performed.

Lastly, certain food allergies can cause an itch response in the skin. Food allergies are by far much less common than the other possibilities I have listed above.

In summary, I recommend trying a more frequent bathing regimen with a gentle oatmeal or hypoallergenic shampoo. You can also try the Seresto collar in case this is related to a flea allergy. Also, supplementing the diet with omega fatty acids (fish oil) can help improve the health of the skin and decrease itchiness. If these therapies do not result in improvement within few weeks, or if it worsens, your dog will need to get checked out by his veterinarian. Better yet, you could cut to the chase and schedule an appointment for him sooner rather than later, and he can get a skin scraping performed to rule out mites, and potentially start a course of oral medication to help with his itching. I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance :)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello what now ?

Hello, not sure what you mean- can you clarify for me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You asked me for the ingredients I sent the photo of the current shampoo. And you asked me question about my dog and I answered them also. Now I'm waiting for the answer .

See above

I'm sorry, did my answer show up for you? If not, I will repost it below for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you help or no?

Here is my answer, reposted below:

There are several possibilities here, I'll discuss the most common.

Has this helped?

Hi there, I just wanted to check in and make sure you received my answer, and if you have, whether it has been of help to you.