Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog is curled at an extreme angle with the head pointed

Customer Question

dog is curled at an extreme angle with the head pointed towards its tail. He yelps in extreme pain when trying to move. It happened once before and I was told to give him vitamin B which I do daily. Last time it was 4-5 days before he started standing and walking normally. Is it his spine that gets locked up at the shoulders.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Jean, I would recommend taking Rex for x-rays this time around to see if there is any abnormality present. Your vet may recommend that you go to a specialist if profound symptoms are persistent. If Rex truly has a thiamine deficiency it should not only be diagnosed, which can often be done with blood work, but he should be on a vitamin supplement consistently from this point forward. Thiamine deficiencies can lead to death, so supplementation is absolutely imperative. I would also consider a diet change if his diet has been consistent through both episodes. Your vet can also give injectable vitamin B that may work faster than oral supplementation and alleviate his symptoms much faster.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?