Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog got a hold of a Raid Cockroach bomb thing.. I have

Customer Question

My dog got a hold of a Raid Cockroach bomb thing.. I have the ingredients listed for the liquid that was inside.. Can you tell me if this is harmful to my dog?? And what I need to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Do you have an idea of how much he ingested and how long ago? Did he just puncture the packaging or ingest some of it? Do you have the full name of the product?

Is this the product: http://www.scjohnson.com/Libraries/Download_Documents/126417001_Raid_Concentrated_Deep_Reach_Fogger.sflb.ashx

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was probably a container of about 2-3 tbs of liquid and the plastic it was in.. It's called "Hot Shot Ultra Liquid Bait"

If so then luckily this has a high level of safety in dogs. It's LD50 >5000 mg/kg in rats (no dog studies) but may cause gi upset. We cannot induce vomiting as this product is caustic and can cause issues with the esophagus if vomited back up and if he ingested the plastic this is the biggest concern as it can become a foreign body obstruction

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please opt out.. I will call a local vet.. Thank you for your help

This plastic material can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up as well so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own but the contents are typically not toxic in dogs, especially one of his size. The primary concern is ingestion of the plastic container

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Alright, good luck to you both then. Again this is not toxic to him but the container is the biggest concern