Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 5 lb Chihuahua, She either broke or sprained her

Customer Question

I have a 5 lb Chihuahua
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She either broke or sprained her leg
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Paw is swollen
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Susie app 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Susie?
Customer: She is limping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried giving her 1/3 baby aspirin to help with pain and maybe swelling? Should I continue?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She holds her paw up? Can I make her a cast?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What leg is she holding up?
2) Has this ever happened before?
3) Any trauma?
4) Is it visibly swollen?
5) Have you checked the paw pad for any foreign material?
6) Can you attach a video of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her right paw
Never happened before
No trauma?
Yes swollen
Didn't see any foreign material
Will try to attach video

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
https://youtu.be/KM8fRLRGVwo

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
https://youtu.be/5sAwImiyMHU

Without knowing what is wrong with her limb, a splint is not indicated. If this is, by chance, something located in the paw or even an abscess, the splint will make things worse. I suspect she's injured her paw and if there's swelling it could very well indicate a break. It would be advisable to have an exam performed, your vet may recommend x-rays as well, and try a few days of medication to help with her discomfort. Your vet will likely prescribe something like canine-safe SAIDs +/- pain medication. Her healing time will be based upon what is wrong. If something is stuck in her foot, removing it may be all that is needed. If there is a break, it may simply require a split (something you'd likely be unable to make at home) or surgery may be recommended. In order to heal correctly, if this is a break, your vet may need to reset the bones into alignment. They must be touching in order for the bones to refuse together. This is part of why I recommend involving their expertise as it's possible to delay or even prohibit proper healing by addressing the care at home.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?