Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

About two mouths ago i noticed my 14 year old Chihuahua mix

Customer Question

about two mouths ago i noticed my 14 year old Chihuahua mix was losing weight he was eating good i gave him word meds that i got from pet smart it was a powder and was giving in three different doses he started gaining weight about a week ago i noticed he was looking swollen he looks like he could pop open he is very tight in abdomen he still walks around normal eats good he is getting arthritis but still does pretty good what do think the swelling could be thks mhj
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
this was meant for a vet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you noticing any coughing?
2) Can you tell me any many breaths per minute he's taking?
3) Any pictures to share of the abdomen?
4) Any change in his water consumption?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
no coughing he is not close by will get the other details later

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
no coughing not drinking much water he is in a outside pen cant find any stool on ground can send a pic later
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Please do send a picture at your convenience.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
wanted to let you know also i have been feeding him 13.2 oz can of pedigree chop chicken and a 2 cups of dry pedigree a day for about 3 weeks i may have caused some of the prob over feeding also he measures about 22 inches around

Over feeding is definitely a concern. As a chihuahua, the amount of canned food you're giving should be suitable for a dog his size, not to mention the additional 2 cups of food. If he's not showing any signs of being unwell, cut his foot back tomorrow by at least 25% and re-measure his waist line the morning following. He should have a great reduction in the expansion you're seeing. If not, I would urge you to have him examined. A swollen abdomen like this could indicate liver concerns, Cushing's disease, cardiac failure, etc. If you do see an improvement in the size, keep him on an increased feeding schedule but don't overdo it. You cannot fix a pet being too thin overnight, so to speak, so gradually increase the amount of calories he's retaining by giving slightly more food than he needs. At this volume, he's eating enough for a 50 pound dog each day. That's far too much for such a small breed of dog.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?