Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 15 y/o rat terrier. He can appear to be in great

Customer Question

I have a 15 y/o rat terrier. He can appear to be in great discomfort, as if his hip or butt were bothering him, but if I put him in the car, riding shotgun, he sits calmly and stays calm, even if the ride is an hour long. But home, he is back in discomfort mode. What is going on? Thanks.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Endorphins and the excitement of a ride are probably giving him enough of a boost to keep him from showing signs of discomfort when he gets to go for a ride. I would recommend having him examined and your vet discuss putting him on joint supplements like glucosamine and also an NSAID for discomfort of the hips like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, etc. If he is painful due to arthritis, this should help greatly at home and on the go.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?