Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

E a nine year old shiba and his hind quarter shakes quite a

Customer Question

e a nine year old shiba and his hind quarter shakes quite a bit when he is sniffing it is not all the time but it is concerning me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hind?
Customer: no he is not in pain or anything else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

You appear to be describing orthostatic tremor - a fine tremor of the postural muscles that occurs only while standing, squatting to urinate/defecate, or attempting to lie down and subsides when walking, running, or in recumbency. Differential diagnoses include osteoarthritis in the hind legs/hips/spine and myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease or degenerative myelopathy - a Lou Gehrig-type of spinal cord degeneration. Your Shiba Inu's vet will want to palpate (feel), hyperflex and hyperextend your Shiba Inu's joints in an attempt to spot hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of osteoarthritis. Orthostatic tremor is a diagnosis made by excluding the other disorders I mentioned.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.