Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My girl came into season early, so I took her to have a

Customer Question

HiMy girl came into season early, so I took her to have a delvosteron injection and sent my boy away for 10 days as the vet said it would take 7-10 days to work. On the evening of the 10th day they mated. Will she be covered by the delvosteron or not?Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

According to the literature supplied by the manufacturer of this drug, efficacy is dependent upon timing. Here's what I found which is pertinent to Sally: "Suppression of heat: A single injection as soon as possible after the onset of pro-oestrus is seen (an injection given in later stages of pro-oestrus is unlikely to be effective). Following the injection, bleeding, vulval swelling and attractiveness to dogs should gradually decrease and stop within 5-7 days. Contact with dogs should be avoided until all signs of heat have fully regressed as the bitch may accept the male prior to this. The subsequent oestrus will occur on average 6 months after the injection. However, this interval may be as short as 3 months or longer than 12 months in some individuals." Did Sally's vet perform a vaginal cytology in order to detect how far along in pro-oestrus Sally was?

Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sally. How is everything going?