Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog just ate now is whining and legs are swollen, Killa

Customer Question

My dog just ate now is whining and legs are swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Killa and he is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Killa?
Customer: For a few months he has been steadily losing weight to the point it looks like I'm starting him, his bones are sticking out, he is allwormed
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he had the swelling in the limbs?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is it fair to say that he has been eating as usual yet losing weight? Or, his appetite has been off?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Only noticed it one other time last week and that subsided, no pe conditions and yes eating normal but still losing weight
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

1- So the swelling in the limbs has been going on for a while, correct?

2- Is he drinking more than usual?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Has he been seen by a vet for this problem?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
a little while, not drinking more than usual, no vomiting but diarrhoea with a little blood, no hasn't seen a vet for this he has been a little aggressive
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Is the swelling in all 4 limbs?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No back two
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry Killa has been losing weight with swollen legs, I am sure this must worry you. In response to your question, when we see weight loss despite normal food intake this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are absorption disorders in the intestinal tract, EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency), kidney or liver disease, tumors, diabetes, etc. to name a few causes. The swelling in the back legs could be the result of accumulating fluid within the tissue (edema) as a result of low protein in the blood which can be caused by any of the above medical conditions. Or, he could have heart disease. The loose stool with blood is a sign of inflammation in the gastrointestinal which is likely secondary to any of the above-mentioned diseases.

As you can see from the above list, there are many possible causes. On history only it will not be possible to determine the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Killa would need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, urinalysis and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on examination and test results. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter