Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 15 year old Chinese created has just had a pyometra

Customer Question

My 15 year old Chinese created has just had a pyometra operation last Friday, all looked well for 48 hours, then her inception site started to swell and weep, she had a scan and they said it was just fluid and not to worry, Tuesday the scar is weeping far more and another scan shows the stump is infected, new antibiotics are making her vomit. two hours after taking, i am wondering can she be cured with antibiotics alone or will she need another operation to clear the infection. please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She's off her normal food, she had some peanut butter with the antibiotics and half a buscuit
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that i know of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, stump pyometras can often be settled with antibiotics. Its only the resistant infections that require us to go back in and remove more tissue surgically. Therefore, we'd hope that she won't need any more surgery here.

Though if your lass is nauseous and vomiting with this, that needs to be addressed. You may want to speak to her vet about strong anti-nausea medication or at the very least consider an OTC antacid to soothe her stomach. Examples of this would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, you can also try a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, these secondary stump infections usually can be treated with antibiotics to avoid surgery. So, you are on the right track but we need to counter that nausea for her and tread with care at this stage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your advise, i shall give it a try, as my vet is to busy to see her until tomorrow and i am afraid that her kidneys will be affected if she keeps vomiting. let alone the antibiotics not getting to do there job. do you think she has enough cover vomiting two hours after taking or should i give again. she is on Amox/clav half a 250mg twice a day. and no other medication.
She is drinking often and wound draining well, a creamy red tinged discharge. the site is still hard and swollen. should i be worried?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If she is vomiting 2 hours later, we would assume absorption and not re-dose with the antibiotics. Though I'd note that Amoxi/clav often causes nausea in sensitive dogs (though it is very good at tackling the usual bacterial agents that can cause pyometras) . So, we'd want to tackle that nausea even more. And if you feel that incision site drainage isn't becoming more clear (since seromas aren't a worry but cloudy pus is), then we'd want to speak to he vet about taking a sample of this for bacterial culture/sensitivity .That way we will know what bacteria is present and what drugs its vulnerable to to ensure we are targeting this as effectively as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, i have just given her three ml of blended chicken and rice, and she has almost immediately vomited it up. the discharge is a little more thinner, than yesterday, she has had two doses of the new antibiotics so far. i have tried the links you gave for dosage and they won't work. i think maybe i should go see another vet, i'm really worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

If she has been vomiting even bland options, do make sure to treat her nausea before giving food (the links work if you copy/paste them into your web browser they aren't meant to click direct). Otherwise, the thinning of the discharge is a step in the right direction. So, its ideal to keep up on it if we can.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Today we took her to see another vet and they have given her antibiotics and anti sickness by injection and will operate on her first thing in the morning to clean up the infection. mainly under and around the skin. She has had a good drink and a little baby food and kept it down, She's now really quiet and sleeping. i am praying she will make it through another operation. She has been struggling with this infection for a week now and getting very weak......i am so worried she won't make it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that they are being more aggressive and countering that nausea that didn't sound quite severe. And if they feel that she needs to have that infection removed surgically, I am sure they will proceed with care to ensure she is safe under the anesthesia and possibly use IV antibiotics and fluids to support her through it.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One last question, would the antibiotic injection be knocking her out. She seems to be very quiet. and how late can i give her water before the operation?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

An antibiotic doesn't sedative effects but can make them feel unwell and quiet. In regards ***** ***** water, they can have it up until the morning before she goes in for surgery, its just food that we have to restrict.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.