Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She is coughing, I've tried honey, coconut oil, shower, she

Customer Question

She is coughing, I've tried honey, coconut oil, shower, she can't stop coughing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nashka she 12 year old. She done this before but never this long or this bad
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nashka?
Customer: No she been in good health
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Nashka is coughing despite your supportive care. The reason is because her failing to settle with those throat soothing options suggests an bigger issue is present and not being addressed. If her signs have been sudden in onset, then a bacterial or viral upper airway infection is likely our culprit. That said, with her being elderly, we need to be aware that chronic persisting coughing like this also raises worries of parasites (ie heart worm or lung worm), bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, lung tumors, tracheal disease (ie polpys, growths, tracheal collapse, etc), or sometimes heart issues.

With all these in mind and given that supportive care wasn't enough, it would be best to consider having a check-up with her vet. Ideally, we want her vet to listen to his upper airway, lungs, and heart. Depending on their findings, it may just be a case of antibiotics to treat any infection present but if they find anything amiss with her lungs or heart then an xray or heart scan may be indicated to let you see what is actually going on within in her chest so that appropriate treatment can be started for her to soothe that cough.

Overall when we see elderly dogs coughing but not settling with supportive measures at home it raises worries that the cause is more serious than just irritation. Therefore, it would be prudent to follow up with her vet. The can listen to her chest and help you pinpoint the cause of her cough. And once that is diagnosed, you will be able to treat her cough effectively and halt it for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )