Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have my pups away a year ago. One was to be brought back a

Customer Question

I have my pups away a year ago. One was to be brought back a day an a half ago, after they said the dog fell out the back of the truck. Her front paws pulled. Tops of her back feet peeled, one u see white ligament i think? Scraped hips. I stopped bleeding, gave antibiotic. Cleaned with water. Put antibiotic on the wounds. Will her foot heal without stitching safely? Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's eating a little and drinking a little. Her feet hurt so bad. She cries for me if I leave the room. She's behaving an still a sweet lil girl. Like when she was as a pup
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How deep are the wounds?

How old are they?

Any pus or odor?

what antibiotic are you using?

Please post a photo of her wounds, as this will let me see what you are seeing and determine if this needs stitching or not. To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Trying to send pic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

If you can do so, I will review it for you. And if the paperclip icon gives you any bother, feel free to post them on any site and copy/paste the link here for me.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not as angry putting antibiotics on it but still very painful. This still has me as Internet connection. Don't see a paper clip
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did u receive pics
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I'm not very say with this. But very grateful for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I can see it posted and will download it now. I will reply shortly.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm cash limited or would have gladly already taken her. I don't understand how anyone can do these things to any living thing or person. I understand accident's but really.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Goodness, the poor lass.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, this isn't going to need stitching but it will need a lot of bandaging and care. Therefore, I understand cash is limited but it would be ideal to have her in for at least a starting examination. That way your local vet can show you how you will need to care for this over the weeks to come and they can dispense further antibiotics if needed but most importantly dog safe pain relief (since we have no OTC pain relief options we can use).

With that in mind and since funds are a concern, you could consider a few possible options to increase our chances of success here. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s database (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** this is going to need a wet-to-dry bandage initially. You can see how this is done HERE. We need to change this every other day (more often if there is a lot of discharge when you take the old bandage away). THe aim is get the bacterial contamination away and help the tissue granulate to shrink the wound and a start to heal. So, stitching and surgery aren't likely to be viable here but this will need to be done over the next few weeks to help her body try to heal this severe damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will, but can u tell if infection has started
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We don't have either of these near by but thanks for the info
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Given the nature of the wound, it is a contaminated one. So, its not a case of whether infection is present yet (the photo is to dark for me to see pus), it is a case where oral/systemic antibiotics are an absolute must because of the way it was damaged. And I'd note that it is worth checking those 2 other databases listed even if you don't have those chains nearby since there are a lot of support options listed by state.

Best wishes

Dr. B.