Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

She's 15. Can't walk on right rear leg at all. Vet saw her 5

Customer Question

She's 15. Can't walk on right rear leg at all. Vet saw her 5 days ago, put her on prednisone. She improved completely. Now it is back but worse.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. Vet thought she was sore from running. I was to restrict her for 3 days I only did it for one day because she was back to normal. She was running in the yard again this morning.... The problem returned. Can it be hip displeasing? She is so old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about She 's?
Customer: She's eating and drinking. I am giving her water and food. Can't get her to urinate. I touched her hip area and she yelped a little.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

There are many potential causes for this, and there's no way to know without xrays. If the hip area is painful, it may be severe arthritis or a slipped disc in the lumbar spine or a cancerous mass in the bone there. If you are willing to do xrays, it may be a good idea, but they will need to sedate her to get good hip xrays. If that is not an option, then I would recommend keeping her on either an anti-inflammatory medication daily, or a drug called Gabapentin daily. Or both. Those will help keep her comfortable for whatever the cause is. I would not recommend using steroids for long term management if you can avoid it due to the side effects.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get her to urinate? She can't stand and she sleeps with me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can she urinate if she can't stand?

You can try sling-walking her by putting a beach towel under her abdomen right in front of her back legs, and lift up on it to try to support her weight for her when she is walking. Then once she is back on pain meds she will hopefully walk again.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.