Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My pug is lethargic, thirsty off and on (usually never

Customer Question

My pug is lethargic, thirsty off and on (usually never drinks water), and vomit is clear and some had yellow. She ate but vomited what she ate, has not ate this morning (we feed her 2x daily small amounts) We took her to the vet they said no fever and no signs of anything alarming, they gave her IV and sent her home with antibiotics. When she got home she had diarrhea and no diarrhea prior to the dr visit. She still will not eat, and very gloomy. Drinking lots of water still, they also checked her glucose levels and said they were 130 (she is 10 years old and has had cyst which were cancerous previously removed about 4 months ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no that's about it
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 28 days ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Did your vet run basic blood work checking kidney and liver values? (If not, why not??)

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
they took blood but did not process the blood work, I couldn't afford $300 in tests

I see. If they still have the blood work, I would ask them just to run a few specific values... BUN, Creatinine, ALT, and ALKP. Just running those 4 lab values in-house should not cost you more than $50 or so. This is concerning for the possibility of liver failure or kidney failure, and those 4 lab values should give your vet the info they need. There is not much you can do at home until you know what is causing this, but you can go to the pharmacy and purchase some Prilosec 20mg tablets and give 1 tablet every 24 hours. This can help settle the stomach. You can also purchase some chicken or beef baby food (stage 1- no other ingredients) and offer that as a bland diet. But until some blood work is run, there's not much more you can do at home. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this with your sweet pug, and I hope she feels better soon!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank.You, that was very helpful
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 27 days ago.
You are so welcome! Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive compensation for assisting you. Take care, and good luck!
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.