Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My mom just i for, he ate chocolate flavored twizzler candy,

Customer Question

My mom just i for
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: he ate chocolate flavored twizzler candy
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack 10 year old black lab/Germ Shep mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shep?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Only the theobromine contained in the chocolate of that candy is a concern but it would take an ounce of pure milk chocolate per pound of body weight to intoxicate Jack. The candy couldn't have contained such an amount and so Jack will remain safe. As with eating anything unusual, Jack might experience transient gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea, but it shouldn't need to be treated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?