Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a female schnauzer 1 year old first pregnancy.

Customer Question

I have a female schnauzer 1 year old first pregnancy. pregnancy test at 31 days- positive, x ray at 53 days showing puppy is deceased, pregnacy blood test is now negative , showing only one puppy, vet said he couldn't see skull. this was a very outdated xray (developed in bathroom) she is due in 3 days, she acts normal , playful, no problems, should she be sick, he said to wait and see if she passes. what should i be looking for
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 27 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sheeba. Can I assume that the rest of the fetus's skeleton was well formed? Hand developing an X-ray doesn't mean that that X-ray was nondiagnostic as long as it was properly exposed and developed. If there truly was no skull seen and relaxin testing (relaxin is produced by the placenta) was negative, I have to assume that the placenta had become nonfunctional due to fetal death. If that's the case, dystocia (difficult birth) is a significant consideration because the fetus induces parturition. To answer you directly, if labor didn't ensue within 58 (bred late) to 71 days (bred early) Sheeba would need to have that dead fetus removed surgically. If stage 1 labor arose in spite of the death of the fetus, you would see a restless Sheeba, panting and perhaps vomiting and signs should increase in frequency and severy. Stage 2 labor = expulsion of fetus(es). The length of this stage is variable - 6-12 hours on average. If active stage 2 labor (active contractions) lasts more than 1 hour without producing the fetus or a black, green, or red discharge is present before the fetus is passed dystocia is diagnosed and surgical intervention should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheeba. How is everything going?