petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

Stinky fungal ear, Maxwell, 10 year old Cocker, not really,

Customer Question

stinky fungal ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maxwell, 10 year old Cocker
JA: Got it. Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I set up your one-on-one?
Customer: not really, he gets this about once a year I always use mometamax 15
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Maxwell today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

I am not quite sure what your question is? Is Maxwell experiencing another ear infection? Has he been seen yet by your vet for this current episode?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I always treat this with Mometamax 15 gr Otic solution; I was trying to avoid expensive office visit to get a Rx
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It happens about once a year and my vet will charge for the office visit, test, and a follow up to retest, etc.
Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I can understand you wanting to avoid the fees, but trust me, ears that are not treated appropriately can lead to big time problems, including loss of the ear if it gets to the point of surgery. The correct way to treat this is to have Maxwell examined and have an ear cytology performed to determine the correct medication for the organisms currently involved. Using Mometamax repeatedly can lead to resistance problems. It is important the the ear canals and the ear drum are evaluated and in some cases, oral meds like steroids are needed to decrease swelling in the ear if severe enough. If the canals are swollen, the medication can't make it's way down into the lower canal. If the eardrum is not intact, that is a whole other problem and needs to be treated in a different way. Once the treatment has occurred, it is imperative that the ear canals are rechecked and the problem determined to be resolved, even if the outward signs have improved. Low grade, unresolved ear infections are one of the most common causes of "recurrence". They are really not recurrences however, they just never resolved completely. If on the other hand, at recheck it is found that it has resolved and then recurs again at a later time, seasonally triggered environmental allergies are more likely to blame and that should be addressed for better control of the ear problems.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z