Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She has a lot of allergies and we are now on atopica but she

Customer Question

Hi there, she has a lot of allergies and we are now on atopica but she is still chewing herself
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie and she is 3 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: not as far as i know - we re-homed her so we are still learning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has been allergy tested, she has grass, weed, tree, mould & mites allergies. She is on Wafcol Salmon & potato. She is on 1 Atopica every day and is down to two steroids a week, for two weeks then is being cut down to one steroid for a further week.
We wash her down after each walk.
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog!!!

How long has she been on the atopica?

How long has she been on the Salmon and Potato diet? Is this a prescription diet (I am in the US so am not familiar with this brand)? Does she get treats or anything else orally (chewable flavored heartworm prevention? table scraps?)

Has she been treated for any skin infections? Does she have any skin lesions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,
She was on Apoquel from Dec 15-June16 which is how long we have had her. She has been on Atopica since June 15th ish. She has had skin infections from the constant chewing and where she has made it bleed. We use an antibiotic cream when it flares up or should I say she has chewed and made her paws etc sore.
Wafcol is Veterinary tested here as a hypoallergenic food and is supposed to be the best for dogs with allergies - she has been on this since February when we were advised to change it. Re table scraps, if she does it is only vegetables nothing else - she has gluten/wheat/oats/soya etc free treats such as Salmon bites. She has salmon on a Sunday too as a treat, she has had rawhide bones but we have now stopped those and replaced them with a gluten etc free one (they don't last though, so doesn't keep her busy chewing as the rawhide do)
If I think of anything else I will let you know.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Predisinone is the steroid she is on.