Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We've had his anal glands expressed several times -- and

Customer Question

We've had his anal glands expressed several times -- and within 48 hours the smell is each case we had a licensed vet do the expressing...they said "yep that's the issue"...smell goes away -- then back a couple days later...last time vet thought maybe an infection - gave us antibiotics...we're midway through the course of treatment and the smell is back's all very perplexing -- he's recently been treated for a parasite that we think was impacting his very loose bowel movements...that seems to be better but we can't get rid of this smell...frustrated...and he's an Irish Wolfhound so everything is bigger so to speak...any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bart
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bart?
Customer: nope -- he's always seemed to have issues with loose bowels ever since a something we've worked on for several years -- he's about 3 years old...weighs about 148 and is up to date on all shots/vaccinations...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Tell me more about Bart's concerns with loose stools.
2) Is he having entirely normal stool now?
3) If so, how long has the stool been normal?
4) When was the last anal gland expression?
5) If this has been a chronic problem, has anyone discussed removal with you?