Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My husband just informed me that our 95 lb dog just ate a

Customer Question

My husband just informed me that our 95 lb dog just ate a whole box of small dentastix. No problematic signs yet, but could I expect to see?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ziggy and 4.6 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ziggy?
Customer: He is allergic to all proteins.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Ziggy eat these?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. We are not sure. My husband goes downstairs to prep to leave for work around 5 AM. Apparently, he discovered Ziggy had already consumed them. Yes, my wee one is 95lbs. No vomiting. Nothing unusual. My husband said Ziggy would not eat his usual food, but that is because dad was not happy that he ate the m. Ziggy can be a sensitive boy. I told my husband to not give him his food right now. Drinking ok.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ziggy is allergic to all proteins. He is on a prescription diet. Some are less troublesome than others. He has not broken out yet or showed any swelling of his face which have been typical characteristics in the past over two years ago when trying to diagnose him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right now he seems to be ok. No problems noted.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in a situation like this and in regards ***** ***** question, our main concerns are that this could lead to severe GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, belly pain), possible impaction, pancreatitis, and possible “food bloat.” As well, since these are quite dry, we could also see dehydration, lethargy, and weakness should these pull fluids from the body into the gut.

With this in mind and since he wasn't caught in the act, we cannot be sure if we are past a point where inducing vomiting could bring some of this back up. So, if your husband thinks he had these within the past 2 hours (I cannot see your time zone, therefore cannot determine how long ago he was "discovered"), then we could induce vomiting. Otherwise, we'd need to focus on monitoring and supportive care for Ziggy.

In regards ***** ***** care, you were right to withhold food. We'd want to rest his stomach to allow him to process these with a view to treating against stomach upset. To start, we will to monitor and limit over drinking. So, we’d want to provide small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours and plan to withhold food for 12-24 hours. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of their normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart your normal feeding routine. In these cases, we do usually use light diet options (ie boiled chicken and rice) but if he is protein sensitive then you will need to stick to his diet. Though you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment ) to these meals to help keep all that Dentastix material moving through the gut.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, we do need to tread with care. If he hasn't shown an allergic reaction nor those signs I noted, that is positive. If he were to, then we'd want him seen urgently. Otherwise, we'd want to take the above approach to encourage him to pass these while keeping his stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are East Coast US. This is not our first rodeo with Ziggy Bleu. He is smart and extremely resourceful. Very cognitive. We are on the same page regarding water consumption, food and Zantac. I keep Zantac, Benedrl here bec of Zig. Yes, I plan to monitor him as usual after he has gotten in to something. We typically do not leave anything out in our kitchen that can be an enticement. I had just purchased that box yesterday. He had one I gave him yesterday. Our other two had one each as well.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that you are well versed in handling these situations and have the Zantac on hand. If he has tolerated the Dentastix in moderation, we'd hope not to see an allergic reaction but the above would still be our course of action here for this overindulgence.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he has tolerated them before. I tried him out on them just to see a long time ago. I do not buy them often. Zig is with me now and is talking non-stop through his sounds. He is is telling me his side of the story, and trying to get in good graces again. Still no signs noted. Will follow protocol, and if anything changes we'll be heading to our vet. Thank you for your time and consideration Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

LOL, well I am sure he is. Though I don't think he will have much luck selling us on how eating the whole box was a good idea. ;)

In any case, do monitor and hopefully we won't see any issue here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
lol. True enough, although this German Shorthaired Pointer can tell you a lot of things. He wakes himself up in the middle of the night when he knows everyone is sleeping and goes into the kitchen. He counter surfs if he is unseen, checks everything out, pulls anything out of the sink like plastic utensils. This is a big boy who not only can reach a sink, but drinks out of the bathroom faucets. Then he goes to his grande finale the locked trashcan. Mr. Resourceful unlocks it by knocking over the can to pop the lock and has a foraging fest. We have to make sure the trash is taken out regularly if not every night. I do get very concerned with him though, all jesting aside. Bloat, Pancrititis, Constipation, and more serious issues run through my head when it comes to this boy. We have all been through so much since he was two months old with medical issues. We have been stable now for over two years through ongoing assessment and consistency of routine. We lived at the vets office. He is precious to us.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

He does sound like quite a cheeky monkey. And at times may be his own worst enemy with his evening problem solving escapades in the kitchen. Still on this occasion, if he isn't showing signs at this point, we'd hope that his gut was up for this wee challenge and that we won't see much bother for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is indeed. I could write a book of his adventures. Thank you and have a great day.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome. :)

A lovely (and hopefully uneventful) day for you both too,

Dr. B.