Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 10wk old puppy who when standing or sitting wobbles

Customer Question

I have a 10wk old puppy who when standing or sitting wobbles or shakes. while laying down she is fine. normal breaths
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finley?
Customer: she has been playing with our other dog this evening, and drinking lots of water.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Any history of head trauma?

Has she always drank a lot of water?

Any access to plants, chemicals, or toxins?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
started later this evening 8:45pm aroundwe've been the asleep, so I have not checked her recently.yesyes, potentially, they (other dog) were playing in the back yard, and she always puts everything in her mouth.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
missed ? no history of head trauma
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Thank you,

Now the signs she is showing sound highly suspicious of an intention tremor and is a sign of a brain based issue. If Finley has only just started with this, then genetic/congenital issues would be less likely and toxins (ingested ones but also internal ones if she has a liver shunt --which is a concern if she drinks a lot), trauma (less likely with your history), and infectious agents that target the brain (ie protozoa, parasites, bacteria, viruses) would be our main concerns.

Unfortunately, in a situation like this, there won't be much that we can do at home. As well, since we can see some of these concerns cause progressive signs, we'd want to be proactive here. We'd want a full neurological examination by her vet and bloods taken to check for signs of liver issues and infection. Depending on her vet's findings, she may need IV fluids if toxins are suspect, medical management if a liver shunt is suspect from her blood results or possible antibiotics/anti-protozoal treatments if those other concerns are found. If there was any chance of head trauma, then anti-inflammatories may also be indicated. But again in this case, we'd want to be proactive since this has been so sudden in onset and we cannot be sure no toxins were involved.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )