Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My boxer ate an entire bag of dog treats on Sunday. She

Customer Question

My boxer ate an entire bag of dog treats on Sunday. She threw up and was sick on Sunday but seemed better yesterday. Tonight she wont eat and her stomach is bloated. Could she have pancreatitis from this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly, she is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 25 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

When she vomited on Sunday, did she bring up treats?

Has she been passing stool/treats since? Straining like she needs to?

Does her gut sound gassy?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She did vomit up a large amount of the treats.
I have not seen her pass any stool as of yet...but I was not home with her during the day on Monday and Tuesday.
Her gums seem to be an okay color, she is a white boxer so her pigment is very light already. Her gums are moist and not unusually sticky.
I don't hear any gut sounds.
Her gut seems somewhat swollen but it is hard to tell, she does not flinch when I press on her stomach, but she has been pacing all night and can't seem to get comfortable.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 25 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she did bring up those treats, since that means less in her system. As well, I am glad to hear that those gums are pink here. Though I am quite concerned to hear that she is restless and cannot settle, since that is a discomfort sign even if she is putting on a brave face when you press there. As well, the possible delayed bloating is a worry. This is because pancreatitis could certainly arise secondary to an overindulgence of treats but it wouldn't cause the bloating you reported. That is more suggestive of a blockage with the treats, possible fluid accumulation in the gut in response to all the treats being present, or even gas.

With this in mind, if she is very bloated, then we'd be best to have her seen at this stage for an examination +/- xray. That way we can make sure we don't have a dilated stomach or risk of a gut twist. Otherwise, we'd want to see if we can get her passing stool to reduce any gut content +/- treat any possible gas here. And while we do so, we'd want her on a light diet to reduce general gut upset and help with a potential pancreatitis.

To start, to counter any residual nausea, we can consider using an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran), GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax) and canine probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to this. The first 2 will help keep material in the gut moving to prevent constipation and impaction. The last one will help support the gut bacteria and should reduce any gas producing ones. If you had heard gas, then we could have also added OTC activated charcoal for that.

Overall, pancreatitis would be on the top of our list of concerns for her situation but it doesn't fit with this bloat you have reported. And if she is severely bloated, then we'd want her seen to be safe. Otherwise, if that is mild, you can use the above to try to move her gut contents along and support her pancreas. Of course, if she doesn't settle, then a check for further treatment (ie gut safe pain relief, fluids, +/- antibiotics, etc) would be indicated to get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.