Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 8 yr old 37 lb corgi just swallowed a virbac oral dental

Customer Question

My 8 yr old 37 lb corgi just swallowed a virbac oral dental chew whole. It was partially softened. I panicked and immediately gave him peroxide to get him to vomit it up...he seems ok, but the piece was about 1.5 inch wide and 5 inch long by 1/8 of an inch thick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok- please hurry !
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please accept the phone call request and I will be glad to call you back at once ..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will wait for you to write- it said ur reply
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could take up to a day- he could be dead by then !

No problem, just typing out your reply now,

You will have it in ten minutes or so.

Hello again Michelle,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This product is actually digestible in your dog's stomach so in most cases the dog will be just fine, in most cases it will soften, partially digest and pass. I have rarely known this particular product cause any major problem when ingested whole.

2. There are no special measures you need take for present just keep an eye on Patrick for symptoms of obstruction such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, and signs of abdominal pain. But as I say this would be unlikely.

3. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are u sending to my email ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never rec'd answer

It will post the answer again ...

Hello again Michelle,

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr Nimmo, with all due respect the answer u provided is not much more than what I might read on the back of the bag or Google on my own. I do t think it warrants a $28 payment. Furthermore, there was no where in your email to respond to you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had hunt down the 5 previous communications in the sign up screens to tell you this...not an easy site

Well the main thing is the welfare of your dog and of course I have dealt with just this sort of situation face to face on a number of occasions and so am well place to give you accurate advise and also will be online for some hours to give you back up and advise your further if necessary.

While you may get email notifications we basically handle the situation by typing back and forward in this area.

Please do not hesitate to get back to me if anything changes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Michele,

I am just checking back in to see how Patrick is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dental chew issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.