Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

They ate a large bag if almonds, Large dog mastiff lab, I

Customer Question

They ate a large bag if almonds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Large dog mastiff lab
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I guess he did. We came gone to the empty bag. Dante is 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dante?
Customer: No
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the also eat the actual bag?

2- How much do they weigh?

3- Any symptoms?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No not the bag they know how to open.
The smallest is 75 the largest is 110
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

1- Are they showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not as if now. It just happened within half hr
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Friend, almonds are not toxic to dogs. But, because of their high fat content they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. I would keep an eye on them for the day. If they develop vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg for the smaller dog 20mg for the bigger dog every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

5- Symptoms that would require ER vet visit are: Abdominal distention, pale gums, continues vomiting, behaving restless or severe lethargy, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thank you. So I can feed then normal tonight and just watch them ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Good question, I would hold there food for tonight. They can have water but no food.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter