Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My husband passed away in June. My dog has been displaying

Customer Question

My husband passed away in June. My dog has been displaying symptoms of anxiety since then. Now I am wondering if she is jealous of my grandbabies as she pees on their carpets when we visit.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 28 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, My name is ***** ***** I am working on your answer now. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The peeing is a big problem and has to stop!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 28 days ago.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following.

What other symptoms is she displaying?

Have you had her urine checked for possible infection or stones?

Does it only happen when your grand babies are around?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't think that she has a physical problem because she doesn't have accidents any other time just on the babies' carpets when we are visiting.
She is definitely missing my husband. They were very clise and I miss him too.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have been angry with her for peeing on the rugs but that hasn't helped.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 28 days ago.

First I am sorry to hear about your husband, it must be very hard on the family as well.

Dogs don't really get jealous, they can sometimes feel possessive of items and that can transfer to humans.

I think there may be an odor in the baby rooms that she may be drawn to and feels it okay to eliminate in there and I think that there is a stress combo thing going on as well.

At this point you see that scolding does not help and it will not help. All that does is make her more nervous and she may have more accidents as well she may start hiding in different areas so that you don't see her go.

I would want to drop off a urine sample to be sure there is not a medical reason, and if that is clear you can attribute it to stress.

Your best bet at this point is to be sure she empties her bladder before you visit the grand children and then keep her confined to an area or a crate so she does not have access to the rooms. Crating can make a dog feel like it has a den and give them security.

This is not a good time to let the dog have run of the home because knowing that she may potty is just setting her up to fail at this point so we have to keep a close eye on her and if you have not crated her and see her squatting, interrupt the behavior by clapping your hands or calling her name and given a go out for potty command and immediately take her outside. Once she is outside give the command for potty repeatedly and when she is done, praise and reward that behavior with a special treat such as a hot dog sliver. Something that will resignates that 'I only get this special treat when I potty outside" The more good behavior you can catch her in the more you will see it emerge.

Dogs can actually learn to potty on command by doing the above exercises and that should help you in the long run with potty outings when you visit your daughter.

I would also do some positive obedience training with her so she begins to attach herself to you and see you in a leader type position and this is done through training positively even if she knows her commands, you are building a bond.

There are also doggie diapers which can help if you think that route may be easier for you at this time.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you. She has always been crated to sleep at night. Perhaps I should take her crate when we go to visit and keep her in ut when I am not watching her.
She doesn't have accidents at home but when my other daughter was here with seven month old twins after my husband died Tammy peed in the play area that she had set up with a base of quilts more than once.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sometimes when I am talking on the phone to the babies she climbs on top of me to get attention.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 28 days ago.

It could be stress related. Without the comfort of your husband she just does not know how to handle it when the babies are around.

Maybe you could pick up an extra crate at a yard sale and keep it at your daughter's home for such visits.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am sure that she is stressed. I will try the crate idea and try to reassure her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 28 days ago.

That sounds great. Have a good night.