Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

What can i give my old beagle to stop throwing up, No,

Customer Question

What can i give my old beagle to stop throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the beagle eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Buddy, he 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Buddy!

Now I am glad to hear that you don't think he has eaten anything harmful but if he is vomiting quite a bit, we need to be careful. THis is because older dogs can become quite dehydrated and weak from profuse vomiting. So, if he is vomiting a lot or is too nauseous to even keep water down, then we'd want to have his vet start him on injectable anti-vomiting treatment.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, you can potentially try to soothe his stomach and his nausea with an OTC oral antacid. OTC pet safe options you could try here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Again if he cannot keep this down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he settles, then we can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, we need to be careful when elderly dogs are vomiting. So, we do want to be proactive and can try the above. Of course, if his signs are severe or persist over 24 hours, then we'd want his vet to check him and start anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics by injection to help settle that poor stomach.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.