Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My chihuahua was in the hospital earlier this month in renal

Customer Question

My chihuahua was in the hospital earlier this month in renal failure. She survived and came home good as new. Now we started to notice that her breath is very sour and not normal. Could this be an indication that her kidneys are still in trouble?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Shadow and she is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: No. She was a healthy dog before the kidney failure other than some arthritis flare ups
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 2 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and assist you today with Shadow. I'm very sorry to hear about her kidney issues.

To answer your question, yes sour breath can be a sign of what we call azotemia, which is when the kidneys enzymes are elevated. Toxins build up in the body when the kidneys aren't working well enough to excrete them, and one symptom can be a sour odor to the breath.

Did your veterinarian determine the cause of the kidney disease? Kidney disease generally requires ongoing management, such as fluid therapy, anti nausea medications, antacid medications, and sometimes a special kidney diet.

Dr. Snow