Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is suddenly miserably itching. She decided e s nth,

Customer Question

My dog is suddenly miserably itching. She decided e s nth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: No fleas service r iously
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No. Let me think
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Where on her body is she itching?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, sores,ulcers, dander, crusting, etc)?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Angel is approx 4.5 lbs and 5 yrs old. A poodle chihuahua mix. The itching is in typical ateas such as back, tops of feet, arm pits and it started about 2- 3 weeks ago. She was seen by vet about 10 days before that for teeth cleaning and 3 extractions. I do not treat for fleas and she honestly doesnt carry any. If she gets just one we know it immediately and deal with it. Thos has happened 2-3 times in her last life. She is my therapy dog amd Ive had her since she was 3 days old. Her brother wouldn't let her nurse. Please note she is blonde and fleas are easily seen. Fyi. I am not pet dumb. Also I used to breef toy poodles so have some badoc knowledge. Also managed a per store and have s great deal of pet experience in all genres. There are no bumps, rash, bald spots or hair loss of any kind. Changed foods abput time she went to dentist but when itching started we switched her back to original. I hope i answered all your questions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Thank you,

Now based on Angel’s history and the areas here she it itchy, I ‘d be most concerned that she does have an allergic dermatitis. These can be caused by a range of issues from pollens, environmental allergens (ie laundry soap, carpet powder, etc) food allergies (which can take up to 6 weeks after removing the food to settle), and also flea saliva (remember its only one bite that is needed to set them off since it’s a saliva induced allergy, so she doesn’t even have to have one on her just now).

With all this in mind, if it is warm where you are located, then it’d not be a bad idea to flea treat her. Only because it would protect her from stray flea bites and is a cheap way to rule them out Otherwise, we need to focus on countering her irritation. To do so, you can consider a trial on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if her signs are severe you could have her vet start a long acting steroid treatment by injection or use an immune modulating treatment (ie Atopica, Apoquel) for her. And with either you can also bathe her with an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based one) to soothe her skin as we address this from the inside out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )