Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He is a diabetic and he has Bronchitis. He is on medication,

Customer Question

He is a diabetic and he has Bronchitis. He is on medication, but doesn't have an appetite for his evening meal. Should I give him his second insulin dose even though he hasn't eaten. He gets two shots a day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake - 11 Years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: Not really. He was doing very well until he got this Bronchitis. The Vet saw him and gave him AMINOPHYLLINE and AZITHROMYCIN. He is coughing up flem as she had hoped he would. He is OK in the morning, but his breathing is more difficult at night and I think that is the reason he is rejecting dinner.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 24 days ago.

It is always safer for a diabetic to have no insulin (or a half dose) than too much insulin as too much can cause the blood sugar to be dangerously low. I usually recommend people skin the insulin dose if a dog does not eat or only give 1/4-1/2 of the dose depending on how much it is. If he skips another meal, I recommend he be examined as a diabetic needs to eat in order to get insulin but insulin is necessary at a ow level at all times as it helps with keeping the body's metabolism regulated.

Tonight, I wold recommend giving no inulin and offering food in the morning. If he does not eat, then I recommend a recheck with your veterinarian.

Does this help to address your question tonight?