Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog seems to have phyoderma. He has red hot spots around

Customer Question

My dog seems to have phyoderma. He has red hot spots around his groin area and he squats to pee even though he is a male dog. I notice he seems to have a red eye and the skin around the eye seems to also have phyoderma. What can we use to treat the area around his eye? Is there a natural product rather than antibiotics?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley and he is 2.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: He is on a vet prescribed Kangaroo diet of soft foot & kibble. I believe he has allergies to something else besides dog food. He has been on two does of antibiotics as the first time he got pyoderma he seems to have developed it after a grooming maybe caused by razor burn. The red bumps were scraped and he has staph and then the second time he didn't have staph but he was put on the antibiotics as they also had him on allopurinal (not sure if this is spelled correctly) for allergies and they were worried about his immune system.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Some pictures of the areas.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Riley on any medication currently?
2) Are you using any particular shampoo for him?
3) Any licking of the feet?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Riley is not currently taking any medications. I have started him on a probiotic yesterday made by urth pet that is a digestion health probiotic and he gets 2 tsp per day. I also started him on a seasonal allergy support by vets best and he takes 1/2 tablet. I have tried quite a few different shampoos but lately I have been using an aloe vera shampoo and conditioner. Last night I used a Dog shampoo from Melaleuca. He doesn't seem to lick his feet but will sometimes bite at his back legs as they must be itchy.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Maureen, thank you for the additional info. Unfortunately, I am not able to offer a phone call at this time.

The areas in the pictures look more like concerns secondary to allergies. If he does not have a great benefit from the probiotic and seasonal allergy support soon, I would recommend trying antihistamines. My favorite is zyrtec as it seems to offer the most relief for dogs. You can find the dosing information here:

If you are interested in a more natural approach, you may wish to look at medicinal hemp products which show some promising effects for pets:

There is also a product on the market that can help with the redness and tear staining you're seeing on his face:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Checking in, Maureen. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi there,
Riley has his grooming appointment yesterday and we used the hot spot shampoo on him. It seems to help with him licking it. I think having him on the seasonal allergy tables and using the collodial silver and hot spot spray are helping him as well but I don't know that that will be the answer. I am just trying to wait and see and if there is no change then I will try something else.

Keep me posted if you need more assistance. I'll be happy to help