Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog was acting like she was going to vomit, then she was

Customer Question

My dog was acting like she was going to vomit, then she was trying to cough something up and now she is eating mass amounts of grass.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who has been trying to vomit. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl this evening to cause her to dry heave like this and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this behavior continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. As she is likely quite nauseous (given the grass eating), you can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Given her apparent nausea, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 25 days ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with your girl? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E