How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1295
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

X-ray shows possible cloth item lodged in small intestine,

Customer Question

x-ray shows possible cloth item lodged in small intestine, backlogged stool, and large pockets of gas bubbles. Is their anything short of surgery? Enema? change in acidity coffee enema? Any thing holistid
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just read an answer to similar problem that recommends Mirolax to try to slip the blockage through. Is that a possibility?
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your puppy. Are you online to discuss him?

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

I have to sign off for the night, but will check back in here tomorrow.

As far as whether or not there is an option other than surgery, that will depend on your dog's current condition.

If your dog has been vomiting, is lethargic or painful in the abdomen, has a fever, or is dehydrated, then surgery is needed.

If, however, your dog is acting normally at home and the vet feels they are stable, in some cases we will put a dog on an IV catheter to keep them well hydrated (which helps hydrate the GI tract and keep it moving) and a prescription laxative and retake x-rays to see if the object appears to be passing.

Whether or not this is an option will truly depend on your dog's condition, and your vet can tell you whether or not they feel it is an appropriate option based on the x-ray and your dog's exam. It will still require a stay at the vet's office for the fluid therapy and monitoring.