JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

Of a sudden my dog can't keep his balance his head is

Customer Question

Hi all of a sudden my dog can't keep his balance his head is swaying when he's not resting it and he's sitting weirdly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddox and a little under a year
JA: How old is Maddox?
Customer: About 9-10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddox?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

What kind of dog is Maddox? Is he small? Are there any toxins he could have been exposed to? - cleaning products, gum, medications, etc? - Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's tiny only 3 pounds he's a Chihuahua, not that I'm aware of. There's really nothing for him to get into in our house
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she's shaking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's

I'm concerned that he may have low blood sugar. It's actually fairly common in small breed puppies. Do you have any karo syrup in your house that you could give him? If not, will he eat some puppy food for you? If these things don't work pretty quickly, it's best to have him evaluated by an ER vet tonight if at all possible. If he is not fully vaccinated and is having any vomiting, diarrhea or anorexia, you should have him tested for parvo just to err on the side of caution. Please let me know if you have any other questions - Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's not fully vaccinated yet, is there anything else I can give him besides the Karo syrup?

Will he is eat for you? Canned puppy food would be my next choice.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No dog food but he ate boiled chicken

See if he will eat some sort of carbs too- rice, potatoes, noodles. If he has low blood sugar as the cause of his weakness, that will help to raise it faster than chicken.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** think this could be an ear infection? He's swaying is pretty bad

Possibly, but little dogs often sway from weakness and rarely from ear infections. Are you noticing a lot of discharge in his ears?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I'm just looking up anything and everything on the web. His ears are very clean

Have you fed him some carbs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've been trying he puts things in his mouth and it's almost like he's too weak to chew it

I really think you need to find an emergency vet in your area and have him evaluated tonight. He sounds really sick. If you can't do that, you should at least go to the store and purchase some karo syrup that you can rub on his gums.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What does karo syrup do?

Raises his blood sugar if that is what is causing his weakness.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think you were right about the low blood sugar. I put honey on his gums for an overnight fix and he seams to be doing better not 100% but better

Great, I'm glad the honey helped. Hopefully you can get Maddox in to see your vet today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will thank you

You're welcome!