Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My great dane has an irritated rectal polyp. it bleeds when

Customer Question

My great dane has an irritated rectal polyp. it bleeds when she deficits but other than that doesn't bother her. I was wondering if we could use preparation h on it to see if that helped the irritation and bleeding.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she is a 6 yr old and we rescued her from a puppy mill where she was kept as a breeder about 4 months ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years I would like to assist you with this Polyp issue.

I would Start giving your Dog some Pure Canned Pumpkin. Three tablespoons of pure canned Pumpkin in with the normal diet should help with softening the stools a bit and aiding with how the stools pass with the Polyp. I would not suggest the Preparation H, but using Neosporin to soothe the area. If the Polyp seems to be a problem the Vet should be able to remove it with little problem. The fact it is bleeding is worrisome and maybe should be addressed by the Vet. Please let me know if you have any concerns by hitting Reply.

Expert:  Joan replied 29 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?