petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog is a miniature dachshund, age 13. Her teeth have been

Customer Question

cleaned in the last 6 months. I put an additive in her water supposedly to help with tarter and she has a treat that is supposed to help with tarter everyday. It is horrible at times and bad at all times. What can I do or is it because she is old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Bailey today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that replaces the benefit that brushing teeth at home can offer. The tarter forms due to bacteria being attracted to the plaque on the teeth and brushing is the only real effective way of reducing plaque. Even if she won't allow her teeth to be brushed, some of my clients are able to rub the soft plaque of with a small cloth or gauze square on their finger. If she will allow you to do this, that will go a long way to preventing or at least slowing down the formation of tarter. If her gums are currently inflammed, she may need a professional cleaning first to get her gums back to a healthy state or even rubbing her teeth may be painful and may cause her anxiety.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z