Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have an Australian Cattle dog. Recently we took a urine

Customer Question

I have an Australian Cattle dog. Recently we took a urine sample into the Vet and he has high protein in his urine he also was diagnosed with high blood pressure. We changed his diet to a kidney formula. I have been told that he has minor kidney damage my question is, is the kidney damage reversible? He is on an antibiotic Clavaseptin 250 mg 2 X daily blood pressure meds Elavil 10 mg once in the evening, Fortekor 20 mg 1/2 tab once daily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jak is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jak?
Customer: Jak was a rescue dog and has overcome so many issues. He has had no diarrhea, or vomiting. when he was first assessed we were told that his temp was low
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Jak eat anything unusual?
Customer: The only think we can think of is possible rat or rabbit poop.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Depending on the degree of damage that was sustained, the damage may or may not have some effects that can be reversed. If minor, the chances are better. Often, we consider overall damage to be permanent but we can also see benefits from medications, fluids, diet, etc. to improve kidney function for pets. Over the months that follow when his bloodwork is rechecked, your vet should be able to give you a more updated amount of information on if/how his kidney disease is progressing.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Checking in on Jak, JA Customer. Did you have other questions regarding kidney damage?