Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Scarlett, my dog is an old English bulldog, but has been

Customer Question

Hi Dr Scarlett, my dog is an old English bulldog, but has been sleeping a lot lately. More than usual. In addition, his eyes have had mucus in them. I mean they normally have some sleep, but lately its been greenish and his eyes a little red his eating isn't that bad, normal diet. Its just the sleeping I thought it may be his allergies but not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bulldog. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Prince and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 months ago.

Hi there!

I have a few questions for you:

1. Has he had any problems with his eyes before?

2. Any vomiting or abnormal stools?
3. Has he been scratching/rubbing at his eyes or squinting them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has had issues in the past because of his lids rolling in, which of course is common with his breed. I thought it could be conjunctivitis and have been giving him eyebright but that hasn't seemed to help. There has been no vomiting or eye scratching or rubbing and his stool is normal.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 months ago.

Got it thank you!

You are right, Bulldogs (almost all of them) suffer from various degrees of entropion (rolling in of eyelids) and this causes irritation/inflammation of the corneas (surface of the eye), eventually leading to infection, pain/discomfort and loss of vision. In some chronic cases, it takes years for the symptoms to develop as the cornea gradually becomes more and more inflamed; it helps explain the intermittent nature of symptoms in some dogs - eyes may tear excessively or develop green/yellow discharge, then get better only to get worse again weeks/months down the road.

His lack of energy may be related to discomfort/pain he's experiencing (corneas are rich in nerve endings and irritation is usually quite painful); the discomfort may be exacerbated by abrasion or ulceration created by the continual contact of the lids/hairs with the corneas, which may be why he all of a sudden has green/yellow discharge - corneal ulcers can get infected rapidly.

I'd recommend that you have him evaluated by your vet very soon (within a day or two) and discuss surgical correction if he truly has entropion; this would be the only way to permanently remove the chronic irritation and save his eyes. For now, if he lets you, I would put a warm compress over his eyes, about 3 times daily, 3-5 minutes at a time.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome and best of luck to you! Please take a moment to rate my answer if you've found it helpful..