Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

Well i was my dog, she is a husky mix and as i was going

Customer Question

Well i was petting my dog, she is a husky mix and as i was going down her R side i noticed a lump that i think is a floating rib starting to portude outward. It hasnt broke the skin, but when i touch it, i can tell its sensitive. My question is can this possibly portrude tgrough her skin? I dont feel one on her L side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ellie and she is bt 3 and 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?
Customer: No other than that her last exam was totally normal healthy active dog
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! Normally, floating ribs are not painful or sensitive to the touch. But to answer your question, I've never known one to protrude through the skin. I would advise you having your veterinarian evaluate this area if it is causing Ellie pain, as it may be something more sinister than a floating rib. - Dr. C