Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 5 1/2 year old boxer. She's about 50 lbs and has

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Hi. I have a 5 1/2 year old boxer. She's about 50 lbs and has been healthy her whole life. Friday I noticed these bumps all over her body like hives almost. They went away then today they came back worse. I gave her 50 mgs of benedryl this afternoon and and an oatmeall/baking soda bath. This seemed to take the Bumps away. Now get are back. She is warmer then normal and restless. Her eye is almost swollen shut too
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She's been acting normal other then today
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No she's otherwise health. Her name is jersey
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Jersey!

Now you have made a good start here, but if she keeps flaring back up, this suggests that the allergen is still present in her immediate surroundings or is something she ate. Therefore, we need to tread with care. We'd want to remove any new soaps/powders/sprays/etc in the house. As well, the dose of Benadryl you gave was a moderate one, so I 'd note that if it didn't make her overly drowsy you can double that and plan to give it every 8 hours for at least the next 24 hours. If that doesn't settle her, if she has any breathing issues, or she starts to flare back up at the end of that; then we'd want her to her vet for injectable steroid treatment. That way we can get this allergic reaction under control and get her through this safely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 30 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.