Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My puppy got his first Leptospirosis vaccine today he was

Customer Question

Hello my puppy got his first Leptospirosis vaccine today he was fine when we came home for about two hours, he peeed pooped just fine but now when I carry him he cries i don't know what to do is ut normal ? Help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Biscuit
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Biscuit?
Customer: No, with all his other vaccines he's been fine no crying nothing uts just this one time and it worries me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry Biscuit is sore after the vaccination, this is common as it can be with children when vaccinated. You can use benadryl 1 mg/ pound orally every 8 hours for 24 hours to help with the vaccination reaction but this may cause mild sedation. In addition you can use a cool compress on the area where the vaccination was administered (often the let shoulder). I tend to recommend putting a moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applying it to the area.

If he does develop swelling, pale gums, bumps on his body or itching, vomiting or diarrhea then please find a veterinary er in your area but what you describe is a common post vaccination soreness. I would let your veterinarian know tomorrow about this change so that next vaccination he can be pretreated to minimize this result again.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online just a few more moments and thought I would check in on Biscuit to see if you were able to administer the benadryl and how he was feeling?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!