Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

We have an almost 10 yr old cocker spaniel. Tonight he just

Customer Question

we have an almost 10 yr old cocker spaniel. Tonight he just started peeing like fresh blood in the house. He has never had an accident in the house, it was like he didn't realize he was urinating fresh blood in the house. what could be wrong.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mr. Bo Jangles, but we call him Bo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr. Bo?
Customer: no, he was out chasing critters in the yard, eats fine and seems to be fine...but we are not.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bo.

Urinating blood may be an infection, and a course of antibiotics may be needed. Other possibilities are a bladder stone, or bladder cancer (not common).

I would take a urine sample to your veterinarian tomorrow if you can. They may prescribe antibiotics, or recommend an Xray to check for a bladder stone if there are crystals in the urine.

Is he eating and drinking? You can try giving him some cranberry juice or cranberry extract tablets. Cranberry won't cure an infection, but might make him feel better until you can get him checked out.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.