Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Husky is getting old. Diagnosed with arthritis on Remadyl.

Customer Question

Husky is getting old. Diagnosed with arthritis on Remadyl. Has lost control of bowels and bladder. Gets up with difficultly but can walk. Still excited to see me. My concern is that he eats a big bowl of food every evening but is losing weight. No diarrhea. Cancer? Diabetes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Cancer. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cancer?
Customer: No, I am just guessing at the cancer.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your Husky is having these challenges. Diabetes is unlikely if there is no increased water intake/ urination but unfortunately cancer is a rule out. I would definitely start with exam and bloodwork and go from there, it is possible that the weight loss is related to muscle wasting versus overt weight loss so having your veterinarian who has seen him previously work him up is ideal. We see our own dogs daily and so might miss the smaller points of muscle wasting which is common with seniority and arthritis versus an outside opinion.

Bloodwork will help rule out issues with cushing's disease, liver or kidney issues, as you say diabetes to name a few. The exam can ensure there are no heart irregularities that are new or masses palpable in the abdomen.

I do understand the mind going to cancer, it is something I would do as well and have with my own pets with weight loss but sometimes if caught early there are things we can do or it simply is not cancer and a treatable disease such as Cushing's.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!