Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Can you pls tell me how much activated charcol to give my

Customer Question

Hi Can you pls tell me how much activated charcol to give my dog?
He supposedly ate some organic fertilizer last nite around 9 or 10pm. He is 13, lab/pit mix and he is sleeping and has a bit of a runny nose but seems fine. Still, I don't want to take any chances and gave him 3 grams of charcol.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I cannot see your time zone listed, therefore I do have to note that if it has been over 8 hours, then activated charcoal won't be of much use at this stage. Any absorption that could have happened would have. And I'd note that if he hasn't any signs of gut upset (the most common side effect) by this stage, then Trevor likely didn't have enough to cause him harm. That said, if you wish to err on the side of caution or it is <8 hours since he ate this, then you need to give a dose of 1-4 grams for every point of his weight. Therefore, a 3g dose as you have noted is a minimum binding dose for a 3lb dog. Therefore, as he sounds to be a larger lad, he would need more for it to make a difference in absorbing a toxin. So, you can add the rest into some food to get him to eat it or mix it with water to syringe into his mouth. But again if this happened last night and he is fine, then I suspect he didn't have enough to cause any bother.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )