Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.
Was this from a rat/mouse bait?
How long ago did he ingest this?
Thanks for the information. Bromethalin is a deadly toxin for dog. He has consumed close to the average lethal dose, but deaths have been reported at ingestion of 0.5 mg/lb. Symptoms can be seen in as little as 4 hours or up to 36 hours after ingestion with the acute phase. There is also a chronic syndrome where symptoms may not appear for 7 days. The latter happens more with smaller doses. This specific toxin causes brain swelling and neurologic signs. It is not an anticoagulant. Symptoms may include tremors, seizures, acting drunk, severe depression and paralysis, all of which can end in death. At this point, inducing vomiting won't do anything. My best recommendation is to get him to your nearest emergency vet to give activated charcoal with sorbitol to help bind any toxins in his GI tract and aid in more elimination through the feces. Multiple doses of activated charcoal usually needs to be given because the liver recirculates this toxin back into the blood stream. He should also be on intravenous fluids to help get the toxin out of his blood stream faster and medications as needed if neurologic problems arise. There isn't anything you can give at home to bind the toxins, speed up elimination or treat if brain swelling and seizures occur. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Hello, I was following up to see how Zappa is doing and to see if you have any further questions.