Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Four days ago my male dog was nuetuer and he is swollen, his

Customer Question

four days ago my male dog was nuetuer and he is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: his name is oscar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about oscar?
Customer: no that is it. he is active still and eating right
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is he?

Where is the swelling exactly? Over the incision? In the scrotum?

What color are his gums?

Does the swelling seem painful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in the scrotum ,and yes to swollen seem painful
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. What about his age and color of his gums? Does the incision still look good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oscar is 1 years old.
the incision is good still.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His gums are pink
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would it be ok we take him in to his vet first thing in the morning
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. The swelling in the scrotum is not that uncommon in dogs that are neutered as adults, or when the scrotum is more fully developed. It just tends to bleed a little more, especially if they have been fairly active after surgery. As long as they are acting normal otherwise, and the gums are pink; it shouldn't be an issue. If it really seems painful, your vet can prescribe some pain medication for him tomorrow if not already on it. If it is still swelling more, you can place a cold compress to see if you can stop the swelling. If it seems like it isn't getting any worse, you can always try a warm compress before a cold compress to see if you can get the swelling down first. If it is swelling quickly, he seems very painful or lethargic, or his gums are getting pale; I would have him seen by an emergency vet today. Otherwise, just alert your vet tomorrow. They will probably want to take a look at it at least, but it should be fine, and the swelling usually goes down on its own. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.