Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog has a bladder infection, can I give him

Customer Question

I think my dog has a bladder infection, can I give him metronidazole?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rollie 15 lb shih tzu 12yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rollie?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, Metronidazole would be completely inappropriate to use for a bladder infection. It is good for gut infections but it just doesn't tend to clear the bacteria that are common to bladder infections. Furthermore, this has to be used with case since Metronidazole can cause neurological signs (ie tremors, seizures) if not used appropriately. Therefore, it would not ideal to give this to Rollie and it isn't likely to help his current infection. Instead, your vet would need to dispense a more appropriate option like Amoxicillin or Cephalexin to clear this for him safely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you prescribe that for him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I am afraid that is illegal. Licensing laws only allow vets to prescribe medication to patients they have seen in person. So, your local vet would need to do this, if your local farm supply doesn't carry those more appropriate options.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.