Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I woke up this morning and my min-dachshund/chihuahua had

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and my min-dachshund/chihuahua had swelling on the right side of his face. Otherwise he is acting normal and eating fine. I had given him Benadryl last night due to itching, as well as a bath in Apple Cider vinegar and lemon juice, and sprinkled Diatomaceous earth in some spots in the house. All this was to try to address the itching problem. I am wondering if any of these things could have caused a reaction, but these are things that I thought weren't harmful to pets. I just gave him more Benadryl to help treat the swelling and hope that is okay. I am willing to take him to the vet but as it's the weekend would rather wait until tomorrow if this isn't an emergency. As I said, it's confined to one side of the face and he is eating and breathing fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Bear.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: He is on Enalapril for a heart murmur. I had emailed my vet yesterday before giving the Benadryl and he said it would be fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where on the face is the swelling? Can you post a picture on this thread?