Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate about a tablespoon of baking soda and cornstarch

Customer Question

my dog ate about a tablespoon of baking soda and cornstarch should i give him water?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: pebbles his birthday is *****
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about pebbles?
Customer: he has a flea issues and exzema
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does Pebbles weigh?

How long ago has he had this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
120lbs about hour and a half ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he is a large lad. This works in our favour. This is because while the corn starch is no worry here, baking soda in large volumes can be since it can cause gas build up in the stomach leading to GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain), bloat, electrolyte imbalances, and neurological signs. That said, if he is 120lbs, he'd need to have had >30 tablespoons to cause harm.

Therefore, while we could use OTC activated charcoal to prevent gas build up, we'd not be overly worried here. Therefore, you can offer water and plan to keep an eye on him. If he has any gut upset you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.