Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My puppy has gastric upset and I discovered a damaged

Customer Question

My puppy has gastric upset and I discovered a damaged clematis and rhododendron in the back yard. She doesn't want to eat or drink. What should I do for her?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did her vet send home any anti-nausea treatment for you to continue? What is she on since she got home?

Any more vomiting since they treated her?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sent her home with no additional medications. Did provide bland food to give her. No vomiting since, just a loose stool. Gums look normal/healthy, moist. No tension or reaction to pressing on her belly or abdomen. She's perky and seems happy. Just not eating or drinking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I am surprised they didn't send her home with any further treatment since both those plants are notorious for causing quite spectacular nausea, vomiting, cramps, and diarrhea. Especially since her lack of drinking/eating is a nausea sign even if she isn't vomiting. Therefore, if they are open, it'd be ideal to ring them so that they can dispense further anti-nausea treatment for you to use with Hazel. Otherwise, if it has been at least 12 hours since the antacid, you could choose to give her an OTC pet safe one like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If we can get her settled, you can restart the diet they sent home. Though if she isn't keen for the diet they have sent home, you can try a light diet option like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). If she cannot be tempted but isn't vomiting, we can then water down that soft diet they provided or meat baby food to syringe feed her. And since those stools are still runny, you could add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals once we get her eating to firm those up. As well, you can add a canine OTC probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to support her gut here.

Overall, Hazel's current signs suggest that while she is much improved, she still has nausea and some gut upset. Therefore, you can ring her vet for home treatment to be dispensed or we can use the above to try to soothe her stomach and get her eating for us.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )