Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has been seeing the vet she said she had arthritis in

Customer Question

my dog has been seeing the vet she said she had arthritis in her r knee put her on meds they seemed to start working then not so much so she added a pain med now my dog is not able to walk at all as of this morning her toes/paws curl back she is not standing. she is panting we have had to hold the water bowl for her. she vomited once yesterday after adding the low sodium chicken broth the vet told us to ad to her food. I started researching to see if it was med related or progressive with arthritis she is a 10 year old boxer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I am now wondering if she was poisoned by someone or hurt and we are unaware of it. We have a 10 year old boston terrier who is highly active like a circus dog very energetic and I wonder if he jumped on her and hurt her or something. When he wants to play he jumps on her or others and its go time. We live in an are with a lake and others around. She is not a dog that goes out unaccompanied but she does get on peoples nerves because she barks at every car that goes up or down the drive. She is very protective and scares people because they cant just come in the gate. So I am exploring all options.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Boxer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

This does not sound like arthritis, and it does not sounds like poison either.

It sounds like there is something wrong with her spinal cord and nervous system. Most of the common poisons cause internal bleeding, seizures, kidney failure, but I don't know of any poison that would affect her spinal cord function. Not being able to stand, the toes curling back sound like the nerve message from the spinal cord and brain is not reaching the legs.

This is most likely either a bulging disc, putting pressure on her spinal cord, or possibly a tumor in her spinal cord. I would consider this to be an emergency and recommend you get her to an emergency clinic as fast as you can. The sooner she is treated, the better chance of her getting back her nerve function.

Let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. Can I answer anything else? How is she doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?